Friday, January 10, 2014

1/10/14


In elementary school we use to play this game where we thought that the length of a crease in our palm or pinky finger could tell us how long we’d live or how many kids we’d have.

“You’ll live to be 76, and have 4 kids” she said.

Natalie and I had nothing to fear because our lives would consist of happiness and love. And somehow we were fortune tellers at the age of nine and we had the stars aligned in our favor acting as saviors for each other while we whispered silent prayers to God asking him to make us best friends forever, but apparently forever only lasted until middle school.

It’s now January 2014 and my hands… my hands, they hold story lines, they’ve worn and calloused, they’ve scarred and torn, carrying expectations like a balancing act, sweating and slipping until they can’t hold on anymore. They let go in 2009 when I watched my hero die. They let go in 2011 when I was first diagnosed with depression. They let go in 2013 when they determined I had Lyme’s disease and so many other diagnoses that still don’t make sense to me.

But we all carry around these things inside us that no one else can see and it took me seventeen years to realize what they meant when they said the monsters don’t live under your bed.

I remember when the mornings started with the sun rising. I remember when the days ended with the moon shining. I remember how I used to see the world, how I use to live. Now days fade into nights and
nights fade into mornings, what felt like a perfect picture, now looks like a distorted drawing.  To have what feels like a beautiful masterpiece, and to see it bleed, to see all its colors fade, right in front of you, and the only thing you can do is try to paint a new picture, but sometimes it’s hard, when you realize the world doesn’t appreciate art like it use to. They say we’re too young to be this sad, because people need real happiness. The kind that isn’t rolled up and lit. The kind that doesn’t come out of a bottle. The kind that makes your cheeks sore and your stomach ache. The kind that makes you think a little deeper, that makes you feel weightless. The kind that nobody can give you. The kind that you have to find for yourself.

But I’m drowning from information and starving for knowledge. I need to rip your name off my tongue because it no longer tastes sweet. Because I have so many hopes and dreams that have yet to come true, because I’ve never been kissed in a rain storm, because I’ve never gotten a tattoo. Because my names not really Grace Kelly, because Mr. Nelson told me to make a pen name, because I’m standing here in front of you wishing I was back home in the comfort of my own bedroom but instead I’m here speaking from my heart trying to get you to listen to me as if I have something profound to tell you.

But no one said that it was going to be this hard. No one taught a tired soul that if you grip onto broken glass loosely it doesn’t bleed as much. No one said that it was okay to not be okay, so I decided to say nothing.

Love always,

Gabi Israelsen

13 comments:

  1. YES. I didn't get to go to both slams but I am so happy you posted who you are because I wanted to know so badly, and you know what you are SO FREAKIN REAL. I was going to say good, but I think its better to be real
    (but you're good too)
    Thanks for all the posts, but an even bigger thanks to all the comments, I probably didn't act like it, but they helped me to keep writing because it's nice to know that someone cares.
    AND GABI THIS IS GOING TO SOUND CORNY BUT I CARE
    anyways thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And somehow we were fortune tellers at the age of nine and we had the stars aligned in our favor acting as saviors for each other while we whispered silent prayers to God asking him to make us best friends forever, but apparently forever only lasted until middle school."

    "But I’m drowning from information and starving for knowledge. I need to rip your name off my tongue because it no longer tastes sweet"

    This was amazing and your performed it exceptionally well at the slam. And about the similar thought processes? Yeah, it's practically identical. Thank you for doing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh!!! Yes.

    I loved this! You did such an amazing job at the slam/open mic.

    And I couldn't believe you actually came up and talked to me after. We seriously need to be friends though. You are incredible. Ugh....yeah.

    I can't even pick a favorite line or anything because I'm in love with the whole thing. It was so real and honest and I love that. And I agree with Insolence, thank you for doing what you do. And being who you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously overwhelmed with how nice you guys are :) and haha im still shocked you didn't run away when I ambushed you ha but I'm so down to keep up blogging for the people who still want too. I've talked to a lot of people who want to keep going or slam more. I say we all talk to Nelson next week about it. And we seriously do need to be best friends :) people don't just connect like we do

      Delete
  4. Grace Kelly Gabi Israelsen. You are so beautiful. And your soul is so beautiful. And I respect you so much and your words are beautiful too and you killed us all and it was so beautiful. Shoot dang gurl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren you're my hero and you looked beautiful last night :)

      Delete
    2. I just agree with all of this (gesturing to all of....this ha).

      "Shoot dang gurl." ...yep.

      Lauren and Gabi, you both have such beautiful souls. Please don't ever stop writing! Ugh...love you guys.

      Delete
  5. I'm still and quite possibly never will be over this. When you preformed this infront of us I was floored, but reading it in it's truest form is the most beautiful way to experience it. This is simply beautiful, just like you are. Thank you so much for this, just thanks.

    By the way, I totally have a huge girl crush on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabi. I'm pretty sure you know who I am already and everything. But I wanted to say, your writing is so impressive. And I also feel like I can connect to you a lot. And I just barely started day treatment and will be done in a couple weeks... And if you want to chill, I would totally love to. Was that the most awkward way to ask ever? Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha you have no idea how happy I am right now! Yes we are hanging out no question :) I'm doing IV therapy right now and should be done in a couple weeks as well so it's perfect. Anyways you'll have to let me know as soon as you're done so we can chill... I'm trying to contain my excitement right now. Too pumped. And no that wasn't even remotely close to awkward trust me :)

      Delete
    2. Dude I'm so so so so so pumped. Practically jumping up and down. Wishing you all the best with the IV therapy. You got this. You are so strong. Once I get my phone back, we will get in touch. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm going to close my laptop now and watch Bob's Burgers with my wife.

    I'm sorry for intruding on your conversation.

    I just wanted you both to read my most recent post (hminer.blogspot.com).

    #sorry

    ReplyDelete